Can I use Porcelain Tile outdoors?
- Yes. Install porcelain tiles over top of an existing wood deck structure with our patented galvanized steel plank.
- Porcelain tile is probably the best option where temperatures may drop to below zero.
- This is because they are made to be frost proof and are impervious to water penetration.
Advantages over other low maintenance decking?
- The TILEDECK™ plank system is screwed on to your existing wood joists. It is designed to withstand the weather for over 20 years.
- TILEDECK™ improves the life span of your existing wood structure. It fully covers the wood joist structure, protecting it from the weather.
- You can purchase outdoor porcelain tile from big box stores in a variety of distinctive looks at affordable prices.
- TILEDECK™ also supports stone or concrete pavers (assuming the footings are adequate).
- The system is easy to install with no special tools required. Each piece is 48 inches long and weighs 6 lbs.
- The panel spans over your existing joists, and can be adjusted on site for decks that are out of square or not perfectly aligned – more forgiving.
How is the porcelain tile applied to the deck?
- Glue porcelain tiles to the steel deck-pan using beads of polyurethane adhesive. We recommend an exterior grade adhesive that cures flexible – such as PL Premium or Miracle Lumber Lock.
- DO NOT fully butter the tile with glue or use mortar. Why not?
- This increases the cost of installation.
- Its harder to replace a tile should one break.
- Any water that may penetrate through the grout or polymeric sand has no where to go, and may/will cause de-lamination.
- Download our brochure
How are the joints filled?
- Fill the joints with a modified grout, or we recommend a polymeric sand specially formulated for porcelain tile, such as Alliance Gator Tilesand.
What is the lifespan of a TILEDECK™?
- Porcelain tiles normally last from 20-80 years, depending on the quality and hardness rating of the tile. This is mainly due to its higher density/hardness which protects it from the elements better than natural stone.
- Unique to the TILEDECK plank, the wood structure underneath is more fully protected from the weather elements. Weather protected wood structures can last over 20 years.
How does TILEDECK™compare in cost with low maintenance decking?
- TILEDECK is priced to compete (within 15%) with composite decking on an installed basis using a standard porcelain tile.
- Tile installation costs should be lower than traditional tile setting, since there is less work.
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE? Sign up for our newsletter, or send us a concept drawing of your project.